Holy Hill Arts & Crafts Fair Celebrates 40th Year – 2014 Event Scheduled for Sat., Sept. 20
The annual Holy Hill Arts & Crafts Fair, one of this area’s most popular events and one of the longest standing art fairs in the Midwest, returns on Sat., Sept. 20, 2014, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Held annually on the third Saturday of September on the scenic grounds of the historic Holy Hill Basilica, the Fair features more than 230 juried artists and crafters offering pottery, woodcarving, textiles, metalwork, jewelry, paintings, stained glass, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and much more.
Fair-goers can delight in an autumn day strolling along the winding, wooded landscapes while enjoying the works of these highly talented artists and crafters. The Fair also features live entertainment, refreshments, door prizes and a silent auction. Admission is $5.00, while children 12 and under are free, with complimentary shuttle bus service from and to the parking areas.
In its history, the Fair has grown from 65 artists to more than 230 artists and crafters selected through a competitive jury process. The event serves as a fundraiser for the Holy Hill shrine and its ministries, and its success is due to the invaluable support of over four hundred dedicated volunteers
In addition to the hundreds of volunteers, a variety of area business and organizations support the event, including Carmel Builders, Inc., sponsors of the Entertainment Stage, the La Bri Group, sponsors of the Silent Auction Tent, and Nassco, Inc.
For more information on the 40th annual Holy Hill Arts and Crafts Fair, call 262-628-1838 or visit www.holyhillartsandcraftsfair.com.
The Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians at Holy Hill
More than 500,000 people from all over the world visit the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians at Holy Hill each year. Situated on 435 beautiful acres outside of Milwaukee, Holy Hill was declared a Shrine with “Portiuncula Privilege” by Pope Leo XIII in 1903. As a result of the increasing number of pilgrims, the Discalced Carmelite Friars from Bavaria were invited to staff the Shrine in 1906. On November 19, 2006, the Shrine was elevated to the status of Basilica. More information is available at www.holyhill.com.
Discalced Carmelite Friars
The Carmelites trace their origins to the beginning of the thirteenth century, when a small group of hermits assembled on Mount Carmel at the well of Elijah, near the present-day city of Haifa in Israel, to live a life of simplicity, community, and constant prayer. Because they wore sandals, the footwear of the poor, these Carmelites were popularly known as barefoot or discalced. Currently, the Monastery at Holy Hill is the largest of the Discalced Carmelite Order in the United States and the oldest existing foundation of Discalced Carmelite priests and brothers in the country. For more information, visit www.carmelitaniscalzi.com.
- Freistadt 4-H Friends Completes 2015-2016 4-H Year
- St. Agnes Parish Festival
- Free Workshop Provides Tips On How to Save a Soaked Cellphone
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- 5 Tips for Parents and Teens for Safe Summer Driving
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- Join us at the Sussex Farmers Market - Sundays from 9:30 - 1
- St. Mary School Celebrates 100 years!
- Come visit us for Pioneer Kids Day "Down on the Farm"
- Free Block Party at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Aug. 6