Track star Widule chooses Wisconsin
Hurdler had tempting offer to Notre Dame, but likes tradition in Madison
Menomonee Falls - Going with both his heart and his head, Menomonee Falls state track champion Matt Widule has decided to attend the University of Wisconsin on scholarship.
"I'm pretty comfortable with my decision," he said. "I'm happy I made my decision on my gut feelings rather than any pressure I was feeling."
That pressure he was referring to included the substantial 75 percent scholarship offer that Notre Dame recently made to him that had an estimated value of up to $35,000 per school year.
Widule, who also made a visit to Minnesota, said Wisconsin made it known that it was quite serious about him.
"When I took my visit (to Madison), I just loved it," he said. "The thought of running and learning there is just amazing. I met (head coach) Ed Nuttycombe there and then he came to the school (Falls) after my visit. He said he loved my times (in the hurdles) and that he'd love to have me on his team.
"He also said 'I know you've heard that kind of thing a 1,000 times, but we really take care of our athletes here.' He was adamant about improving the hurdles and that I was a big part of that plan.
"I also like the prestige of Madison," Widule said. "The track program has a great history. They had the fifth-ranked recruiting class in the nation last year, and they're hoping to do even better this year."
Widule, the returning WIAA state 110 high hurdles state champion, is recently recovered from an ankle injury suffered in the football season. He was an impressive third in the 55-meter hurdles in the recently held AAU Indoor Nationals in Bloomington, Ill., an effort he would have liked to have improved upon.
It's all part of a process to have an even better season in 2010, he said.
"This is going to be a nice place to go to school," he said. "It's a relief that it's over, but I'm still excited about it.
"And I can't wait for it to all get going," he said. "It's only 14 days (until the start of track practice)."
- Menomonee Falls claims baseball title as team
- Putting in the effort: Menomonee Falls baseball team wins second state title
- Roble pitches Menomonee Falls baseball team into state title game
- Baseball: Behind marvelous day by Ty Weber, Menomonee Falls baseball repeats as state champion
- Roble pitches Menomonee Falls baseball team into state final, 6-0
- Live coverage: 2016 WIAA State Summer Baseball Tournament
- GMC set to dominate state summer baseball tournament
- 'Two more wins': Menomonee Falls baseball team heads back to state
- Menomonee Falls baseball team heads back to state with upset of West
- Menomonee Falls baseball team to have Weber for tourney run