Germantown football team improves to 2-0 with 41-7 blowout of Hartford

Bay awaits in NSC opener

Sept. 2, 2014

The Germantown football team is making this look too easy.

So maybe it is time the Warhawks got down to the business of the North Shore Conference schedule after rolling up 41 first-half points and cruising past Hartford, 41-7, for their second consecutive easy nonconference victory on Aug. 28.

"We have more good games ahead of us," said Warhawk coach Jake Davis. "The kids are ready for it, but we're going to be careful, take it one game at a time."

Because the Warhawks' first NSC opponent is always tough Whitefish Bay at 7 p.m., Sept. 5 at home. Germantown (2-0) has had a series of contentious games with the Blue Dukes, who pulled off a 14-7 overtime win over Slinger on Aug. 29 to improve to 2-0 on the season. Germantown survived a 23-15 decision over Bay last season.

A key will be the play of quarterback Dwayne Lawhorn, Jr., who a week after playing only abut three-quarters of the contest in the rout of Greenfield in the opener, played only the first half against overmatched Hartford.

He didn't need to do much more after completing 11-of-15 passes for 239 yards and two TDs.

"I really liked how heady he was tonight," said Davis. "He played a very smart game. He recognizes how many receivers he has and he made very smart decisions (in not forcing the ball). Just very good decisions. One play in particular stands out, when we were on the goal line and we had called a pass. He looked at their set and changed the play to a run because it was wide open that way. He gave it to the back and he scored. That was pretty selfless on his part."

The Warhawks were pretty heady all the way around. They had to punt on their first series, but then senior defensive back Justin Gross forced a fumble on the return and the Warhawks took over deep in Orioles' territory. A short time later, junior running back Spencer Pethan ran it in from 8 yards out.

Germantown was off to the races after that. The Warhawks added two more first quarter TDs on a Joe Lemerond 8-yard run and then Lawhorn, Jr., connected on his first TD pass, this one an 8-yard strike to tight end Cole Karcz.

Three more scores followed in short order in the second quarter on a 75-yard Lawhorn, Jr., to Connor Schulz strike while Lemerond, who is continuing to get better from a series of small, nagging injuries, burst 55 yards for a TD of his own.

Just 28 seconds after Lemerond's score, the defense got into the act, as Steve Doran picked off a pass and returned it 35 yards for the touchdown.

"They (the Orioles) only had one serious push in the first half where they got inside our 40 but then we stopped them on downs," said Davis. "I thought the defense as a whole played well. We got a lot of guys into the game and were able to put them into different situations.

"I asked them to get off to a faster start tonight and they did."

That's important, said Davis, because the Warhawks have many younger players on that side of the ball, including sophomore linebacker Austin Mozden. As usual, the defense's leaders, ends Cole Karcz and Lincoln Gruber, also played well, noted Davis.

Connor Edmonds led six pass catchers with three grabs for 100 yards while Schulz had three catches for 76 yards. Lemerond paced the rushing attack with 79 yards on six carries.

The fast start allowed almost the entire roster to get in, said Davis, which is good for morale this early in the season. The game was moved from a Friday to a Thursday in order to give everyone a longer weekend over the holiday right before school started this past Tuesday.

Davis said the two teams had played in the "Thursday Night Lights" TV game last year and liked the concept so much they decided to repeat it even without the contest being televised.

"It suited both of us, because the rest of the season is going to be a grind," he said.

Most Popular




Latest Photo Galleries