Menomonee Falls — Fire Department Battalion Chief Jim Mollet will replace Fire Chief Jeff Hevey, who left his post in July for a new position as head of a fire department in Texas, according to an announcement to the Village Board on Monday.
Due to a restructuring of the Police and Fire department, Mollet will assume the role of assistant fire chief and will report to Director of Protective Services Anna Ruzinski, who heads the combined departments. There were 16 applicants who applied for the assistant fire chief position. The pool was narrowed down to six before the village decided to hire the internal candidate, Ruzinski said.
"Since Jim has joined the village he has proven to be an asset to our department, he brings a maturity and leadership presence to the Fire Department command staff and he brings a fresh perspective from an outside agency," she said. "Yet, he has learned quickly the unusual protocols that we have of our combined department."
Mollet has 20 years of fire service experience. He started his career with the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department. In 1995, he joined the Greenfield Fire Department and rose to the ranks of battalion chief. Menomonee Falls hired him as the department's battalion chief in April.
When Mollet accepted his position in Menomonee Falls, he said, he was at a point in his career where he needed something new. He saw the combination department in Menomonee Falls as both a challenge and an opportunity.
"It does have challenges on a daily basis, but I find again that after being involved with this for 20 years, it makes me feel renewed when I come to work, and that's something that I feel is very important in your job," Mollet said.
The level of professionalism among the staff also drew him to Menomonee Falls, he said.
"They have the ambition, and the talent is just unbelievable," he said.
As assistant fire chief, Mollet will assume operational duties of the Fire Department, such as working with Ruzinski to piece together the annual department budget.
- Menomonee Falls Girl Scout aids in Central America's conservation efforts
- Two suspects apprehended in Menomonee Falls armed robbery
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Major phase in Menomonee Falls' White Stone Station completed
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- The Falls Guy, July 28, 2016: A trip down memory lane
- Falls woman dreams of starting her own dessert bus
- Menomonee Falls man pleads guilty to homicide after killing bicyclist
- Wanakia Wildlife gives a bird's-eye view to Menomonee Falls Nature Camp kids
- Taste of Germantown event to raise funds for pavilion