Anyone who thinks they might have seen a llama wandering through north-central Menomonee Falls on Nov. 20 was not hallucinating.
Following her appearance as the special guest at a pep assembly at Grace Evangelical Lutheran School, W16171 Kenwood Blvd., Lovey the llama was on the loose in the neighborhood for about a half hour.
As Lovey was being led into her trailer following the pep rally, about 3:15 p.m., the llama broke loose and proceeded to run through the nearby residential yards, third-grade teacher Tracy Parker said.
From her vantage point inside the neighboring church, Secretary Barb Baas had what she called a “front row seat” to the action.
“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing,” she said. “She kicked the door open, and it’s like she was off to the races.”
Lovey also escaped owner Kristie Kurtenbach, several parents and Aaron Kuehn, a vicar, who all were reportedly in pursuit.
“Several garbage collectors saw the llama running and attempted to block her with their truck, but she eluded them,” Parker said.
Police also responded, Baas said, based on numerous calls from neighbors reporting sightings of various animals, including a camel and a horse.
“I guess (Lovey) wandered right up to the kitchen window of someone who lives nearby who was washing dishes,” Baas said.
Ultimately, it was Kuehn who wrangled Lovey near Main Street and Pilgrim Road.
“Lovey was captured by our vicar getting in front of her and jumping, waving his arms and yelling really loudly,” Parker said. “Lovey was then led back to her trailer without further incident.”
The cheerleading uniform Lovey had worn for the assembly had been removed prior to her escapade.
Ty Finke can be reached at (262) 446-6621.
- Menomonee Falls Girl Scout aids in Central America's conservation efforts
- Two suspects apprehended in Menomonee Falls armed robbery
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Major phase in Menomonee Falls' White Stone Station completed
- Menomonee Falls Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- The Falls Guy, July 28, 2016: A trip down memory lane
- Baseball: Behind marvelous day by Ty Weber, Menomonee Falls baseball repeats as state champion
- Live coverage: 2016 WIAA State Summer Baseball Tournament
- 2016 Waukesha County Fair coverage
- Falls woman dreams of starting her own dessert bus