A malfunctioning soda machine cooling system was the cause of a burning smell that resulted in the closing of Germantown Village Hall for about half an hour Tuesday night.
After further investigation, village officials ruled out a flooded heating and air-conditioning unit located outside, which was thought to be the cause of the odor.
The cooling system inside a soda machine in the meeting room at Village Hall was the culprit. Parks, Building and Grounds Superintendent Larry Heft said the soda company has serviced the machine. There is no cost to the village.
He said a downspout by the air-handling unit has been fixed to avoid flooding in the future.
Police evacuated eight people attending a Village Board committee meeting at about 8 p.m. after a burning smell was detected in the building.
- Germantown 'craft winery' owner crafts 9,000 bottles by hand
- Germantown Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- Donges Bay Road reconstruction enters final phase
- Germantown Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Germantown, Menomonee Falls Police Chiefs react to police brutality, community support
- Germantown Police Reports, July 14, 2016
- Imagination Theatre of Germantown presents musical 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- Now intern surveys Gemantown's historic places
- Germantown Police Reports, July 7, 2016
- Germantown School Board hires Michael Nowak as new human resources director